The Child Care Council is committed to serving parents and child care providers of children with special needs in Contra Costa County. We believe “inclusion” of children with disabilities or special needs with typically developing children in child care programs is beneficial to all children. The Council receives state and local grants that help children with special needs receive quality child care.
For a description of the Inclusion Project and how facilitators work with parents and child care providers, go to Inclusion Project.
Council Services to Support Children with Special Needs
- The Inclusion Project Coordinator helps parents of children, birth through 5 years of age, with special needs or at risk of delays locate appropriate service agencies and resources to support their child’s development. Contact Ange Burnett, Inclusion Project Coordinator, by calling (925) 676-5442 ext. 3113, or by sending an e-mail
- Inclusion Facilitators provide technical support and assistance to center staff and family child care providers to facilitate a child’s transition into a new child care program
- Inclusion Forms – These forms are used by parents and child care providers who choose to participate in the Inclusion Project.
- Educational opportunities through workshops, seminars, books and videos
- Training opportunities facilitated by CARE Parent Network for providers
- Trained Resource and Referral Counselors assist parents of children with special needs in the search for child care
- The Resource Lending Library is a resource for providers who can check out books and videos to learn about specific disabilities and support inclusion of children with special needs in their programs.
- The Inclusion Lending Library provides specialized toys and adaptive equipment to support children with disabilities in the child care setting.
- Special Needs Resources for support of inclusion and specific disabilities
More to explore…
- Accepting Children by Law How does the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) apply to child care centers and homes?
- Finding Services for Children with Special Needs in Contra Costa County
- Inclusion in Care Questions and answers for parents and providers about including children with special needs with typically developing children in child care programs