Valley Parent Preschool Is Hiring an Afternoon Associate Teacher
About Valley Parent Preschool
Established in 1962, Valley Parent Preschool is a parent cooperative school with a strong 59-year history in Danville. Our ongoing commitment to play-based learning, developmentally appropriate practices, and positive community involvement makes us a school where educators love to teach. You will never find workbooks, worksheets, flashcards, technology, rigid schedules, or homework in our classrooms. You WILL find barefoot kiddos playing joyfully in the sand, giggles and laughter as children experiment at the concoction table, predictable routines and strong connections forming as teachers and families enjoy our low ratio, and a love of learning that comes alive each and every day! Our classroom is a joyful place where children, families, and teachers love to be!
About This Position
After a year of operating at a reduced capacity due to the pandemic, we are looking ahead to a more traditional fall schedule and need to hire an exceptional afternoon Associate Teacher to complete our staff and join our PM Teacher, Kelly, in the classroom. Flexible training will take place during our summer camps, and this position begins fully on August 10, 2021.
Our PM Associate Teacher works Monday through Thursday from 11:45-3:45. We closely follow the SRVUSD calendar and are generally closed for one week in November, two weeks in the winter, and one week in the spring. Reduced summer hours may be available if desired but are not required. Hours also vary on teacher in-service days. We are actively involved in our school and greater community, and occasional hours outside of class are required for events such as Community Art Day, Community Science Day, Back to School Orientations or other school-wide events.
Our Associate Teachers are an integral part of our team and work closely in the classroom with the children, parent volunteers, teachers, and co-directors. Warmth, joy, playfulness, and creativity are equally as important as experience, education, professionalism, and a commitment to ongoing education. The Associate Teacher’s observations and suggestions are welcomed and valued as the lead teachers plan their curriculum and there is time provided for this collaboration during working hours. With the exception of email communication, additional take-home work is rarely required.
Our Ideal Candidate:
• Someone who loves working with Preschool and Pre-K age children AND their families! Valley Parent Preschool is a parent cooperative school and we have parents and caregivers working with us in the classroom each day.
• Someone who loves teaching both indoors and outdoors in all types of weather. Our outdoor classroom is open rain or shine and we believe there is no such thing as bad weather, just inadequate clothing. Even cold or rainy days don’t stop us!
• Someone who is highly organized, playful, flexible, and extremely reliable. You will be an integral part of our staff and relied on by both the teachers and the families.
• Someone with a genuine love for working with families, a continual commitment to play-based learning, and a desire to be actively involved in our school. We are a strong community and a close-knit team that holds deep respect and appreciation for one another.
Our Associate Teachers oversee small groups of children and volunteer parents independently and at a minimum must meet the California Associate Teacher Permit requirements. Experience with play-based learning and a rich knowledge of developmentally appropriate practices is preferred, but we are also willing to mentor the right educator who may just be starting out and brings education and passion to the position. We also welcome those returning to the workforce after an extended time away to apply. Past experience in a cooperative school is highly desired.
Applicants must legally be able to work in the United States, be able to stand for extended periods of time, sit comfortably on the floor, lift up to 50 pounds, and be comfortable in an active indoor and outdoor preschool environment in all types of weather. We are a COVID-19 conscious school and applicants must be willing to follow all COVID-19 health procedures for their safety, and the safety of our families. This position requires teachers to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
Additional Requirements if Hired:
• Maintain CPR and First Aid certification
• Obtain a physician’s clearance, TB test, and proof of MMR, TDap, Flu, and Covid immunizations.
• Livescan fingerprinting and DOJ background check clearance
• Complete Mandated Reporter training and all other requirements from Community Care Licensing
• Provide Valley Parent Preschool with an official set of educational transcripts
This is an hourly position at a starting rate of $20/hour and includes paid holidays, PTO, a monthly technology stipend, continuing education allowance, and the option to contribute to a 403b account.
Interested candidates are asked to carefully read our website (www.valleyparent.org), visit our active Facebook and Instagram pages (@ValleyParentPreschool) and thoroughly read the information above to see if we might be a good fit.
Valley Parent Preschool celebrates diversity and does not discriminate on any basis. All interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
To express interest, please email a letter of introduction sharing your experience and why you think you would be a good fit for this position, along with your resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you!