Starting a Child Care Business

Start Your Own Child Care Business at Home!

Call (925) 265-6529 for more information

Getting started with a child care business can be challenging. Starting and running a business takes motivation, desire and talent. It also takes research and planning. A small business starts with a sense of initiative and knowing the correct moves. Whether you are starting a family child care business or a child care center, you will need to obtain a license from the State of California.

In California, there are two types of child care licenses. The Family Child Care Home License is for people who work in their own homes caring for children. The Child Care Center License is for those who wish to provide child care services in an out-of-home setting. The local Community Care Licensing Office of the State Department of Social Services that serves Contra Costa County is located at:

Community Care Licensing 1515 Clay Street Suite 1102 (Between 14th and 15th, on Clay) Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: 510-622-2602 Fax: 510-622-2641

Contact your local COCOKIDS area office for assistance. We offer application assistance, guidance in preparing your home or center for the pre-licensing visit, business and child development workshops, sample contracts and referrals to your program once you are licensed.


West Area Office in Richmond:510-758-KIDY
Central Area Office in Concord:925-676-KIDS
East Area Office in Antioch:925-778-KIDS

More to explore…

Translate »